14 -18 Year Olds
The Cadetship Program offers 14 to 18 year olds the opportunity to commence officiating at local and State level athletics events in Victoria under the supervision of qualified and accredited Victorian Officials.
By joining the Cadetship Program, each volunteer becomes part of the Victorian Athletics Officials. Each cadet will have the opportunity to complete training within a number of athletics disciplines of their choice. Once training is complete, the cadets are ready to attend events across the state. Each cadet will also be able to develop further skills with regular training sessions throughout the year and a large number of online courses.
The Cadetship Program offers 14 through to 18 year olds the opportunity to:
- Officiate in a number of different event areas for example: Jumps, Throws, Track, Out of Stadium, Photo Finish and Administration
- Receive recognised qualifications and training
- Attend Athletics Victoria and Little Athletics Victoria events at many of Victoria’s local and major events, providing their skills and knowledge at track and field and cross country events
- Kick start their knowledge and aspirations to a possible career in Sports Management
- Have fun and form new friendships
- Interact and become a part of the Athletics Victoria and Little Athletics Victoria family
From weekend sporting fixtures to large scale events such as the Victorian Country Championships, Victorian State Championships and the Little Athletics State Championships cadets will have the opportunity to be an integral part of the officiating team.
The Cadetship Program is a voluntary program run as a joint venture by Athletics Victoria and Little Athletics Victoria. Whilst in the first year it will only be offered in some AV zones and LA centres the organizations hope that if the program is successful it will be instigated all over Victoria.
Could this be you?
- Are you interested in athletics?
- Are you aged between 14 and 18 years old?
- Are you friendly with a strong desire to help others?
- Can you easily work solo and also as part of a team?
- Are you interested in understanding the rules behind what makes an athletics event tick?
Participate with fellow volunteers and provide athletes with a well officiated competition.
Please note, Cadets must be 14 or 18 years old and as such parent or guardian permission is required at the time of application.
What your role involves
- Attend a variety of athletics events, generally within your area
- Complete some online education
- Assist in ensuring that equipment used is maintained in appropriate operational condition
- Respect and value the diversity of the volunteer workforce
- Represent Athletics Victoria/ LA Victoria as a professional and positive organisation at all times
- Work effectively with other team members and other service personnel at all times
- Ensure the safety and well-being of self and others within the event site
- Assist in any other area as requested by your mentor
Skills and Qualifications
- Positive attitude
- Great communication skills and willing to take pride in personal presentation
- Show initiative and enthusiasm, while also being able to follow instructions
- Ability to work in a team